If you are not reading this page in English, I highly recommend that you turn off the automatic translation on your browser.
If you want to book an online lesson on Google Hangout, Skype, or Facebook video-chat, please write an e-mail to the following address:
Online lessons focus on:
- Standard British Pronunciation – Received Pronunciation
Pronunciation is an essential skill to develop when learning a new language, and it is particularly true when it comes to learning English. During our online video lessons you can learn not only how to pronounce every single word properly, but also how to join words together and become fluent. There are countless different English accents from all around the world but the only one which is internationally acknowledged as “standard” is the southern British one, also known as Received Pronunciation or RP. That kind of English accent is originally from London, Oxford, and Cambridge.
Reading is the first skill to develop when learning English as a foreign language. Given that in English, there is no strict phonetic correspondence between writing and pronunciation, the only way to acquire a wide vocabulary without getting misled is by reading. When reading you can focus your attention on pronunciation as well as on grammar forms, and thoroughly analyze the structure of every single sentence.
Listening is undoubtedly the most important skill when it comes to communicating. Your speaking may be imperfect, but you will still be able to communicate; otherwise, if you are not able to understand what other people say, any form of verbal communication will be impossible. English is a global language, and being able to understand a wide range of accents and expressions is the ultimate goal.
When learning our mother tongue we usually start by listening and speaking. But, if you are learning English as a foreign language it is probably more appropriate that you first focus your attention on writing rather than on speaking, so that you can reflect on how to build sentences and fix errors when necessary.
Written English is on average more elaborate than spoken English, and reading very much from a large variety of sources is essential to be able to write appropriately and eloquently. A hard work is necessary to eventually acquire the ability to choose the proper grammar form, adjective, etc., and put them in the most appropriate place within the sentence, but you know, practice makes perfect!
Speaking fluently is undoubtedly the most difficult skill to achieve for students who study English as a foreign language. Speaking English both fluently and correctly implies that you are at ease with grammar forms and pronunciation. If you are to speak English properly you need to master connected speech techniques such as catenation, elision, intrusion, etc. If you are already able to write and read effortlessly, then perhaps it’s time for you to start speaking.
- One-to-one video calls are available for people from all over the world.
- Underage people are allowed to attend, provided their parents give their consent.
- A stable internet connection (ADSL) is required in order to avoid problems during the video calls.
- You need an unlimited internet plan if you don’t want to run out of traffic in the middle of sessions. Ask your internet provider if you are not sure whether your internet plan is unlimited.
- Video calls are usually made on Google Hangout, but you can also have them on Facebook or Skype if you prefer.
- You don’t have to advance any money to book a one-to-one video call and you don’t need to give money if you don’t like to.
- This service is not a business, and any money you should give will be intended as a spontaneous donation to Mr. Marco Cossu.
- English online lessons are normally given in English, but you can also ask for help in Spanish or Italian during the lesson if you need to.
If you want to receive more information about my online English lessons, or book one, please send me an e-mail to the following address:
Thanks for visiting YouGrammar.com – By Marco Cossu.